Serves 8-10 Slices (Approximately)
Total Time 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 / 2 cup oats (either rolled or quick)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 / 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 / 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 / 2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 / 3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini, packed, with excess moisture removed with towel
- 3 / 4 cup dark chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 1 / 2 cup nuts/seeds (use walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds or a combination of them)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 x 4 inch (or 9 x 5) loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Melt your butter in the microwave in 15-second intervals. Continue until butter is just melted, then let it cool slightly before proceeding.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together your melted butter, brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add this mixture to your dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Finely grate your zucchini. Use a towel and press into the grated zucchini to soak up and remove excess moisture. Pack the grated zucchini when measuring out 1 cup.
To your mixing bowl, add grated zucchini, dark chocolate chunks, and your choice of nuts/seeds. Stir to combine.
Add batter to your lined loaf pan. Top with additional dark chocolate chunks and nuts/seeds if desired. Place in the oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick after 50 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing. Store in a closed container for 3-5 days. Enjoy!